Kansas Adjutant General's Department
EMPG Frequently Asked Questions



Q. How do I know if our county qualifies to become an EMPG county?
A.The county must meet state laws and requirements that apply to County Emergency Management Programs.

Q. What reports are required to be filed with KDEM?

  • County Emergency Operations Plan (within 5 years)
  • County Promulgation Page
  • County approved designated Exercise Program Manager
  • Exercise Program Manager's HSEEP Certificate
  • Current years Training and Exercise Planning Workshop (TEPW) Calendar
  • County Emergency Manager's Kansas Certified Emergency Manager (KCEM) License
  • For each Emergency Management Staff Member and Designated Emergency Manager’s Back-up: NIMS IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, IS-800, & FEMA's Professional Development Series Certificates, individual course completion certificates must be uploaded into KS-TRAIN (www.train.org/ks) user account under "Your Learning". (Upload Cheat Cheat)
  • Exercise activities reported in online Kansas Exercise Tracking System (KETS)
  • Annual Budget for Personnel and Administrative Expenses (EMPG04)
  • Emergency Management Performance Grant Fiscal Report (EMPG03)
  • Subrecipient Reimbursement Request Form (EMPG05)

All items must be filed with KDEM within 90 days after the end of the grant project (calendar) year.

Q. Why does it take so long to receive our reimbursement checks?
A. FEMA distributes funds to the states who then distribute funds to their subrecipients.  This process, along with the application and reports review and approvals, takes time to implement.

Q. How can I fill out EMPG application budget information if I don't know how much we're getting?
A. Under the GRANT DOLLARS section, estimate what your EMPG award will be based on your allocation from previous years.  We understand that you don't know for sure how much you will get.

Q. When do I need to update LEOP?
A. Every 5 years.

Q. What forms are due when?

  • 2019 EMPG Application is due September 16, 2019
  • 2019 EMPG Annual Budget for Personnel & Administrative Expenses (EMPG04), submitted with application.
  • 2019 EMPG Quarterly Emergency Management Performance Grant Fiscal Report (EMPG03),  sent in with reimbursement request.
  • 2019 EMPG Reimbursement Request Form (EMPG05), submit no later than March 31st, 2020.
  • 2019 Statement of Work [SOW](EMPG02), proposed SOW initially submitted with your application, actual activities reported after grant award is received.

Q. How do I know if I have the most current forms?
A. Contact Bret Rowe at KDEM, (785) 646-2204 or at bret.a.rowe.nfg@mail.mil.  The most current forms are provided with the EMPG Application Package and are available on KDEM's website.  Old KDEM reporting forms are obsolete and are not accepted.

Q. Is a KCEM required for EMPG?

A. A county who was never in the Kansas EMPG grant program or a county that formerly was in EMPG but dropped out in the past and now wants back in are both categorized for our purposes as "New Starts".  A New Start county would have to have their Emergency Manager (EM) meet all of the Kansas state statute requirements for Emergency Management (KAR 56-2-2), which would include being a currently certified EM.  In Kansas, the 2 recognized certification programs are the KCEM obtained through the Kansas Emergency Management Association (KEMA), or the CEM obtainted through the IAEM (international certification).

For counties that are already in the EMPG program, a new EM has 2 years to get certified, or an existing EM has to keep their certification current.  Again, that is not a FEMA EMPG grant requirement, but rather is required by Kansas statute, so it is expected of all 105 county emergency managers, not just the aproximately 68 that receive EMPG funding. 

Q. Is EMPG a binding contract?
A. No, if the coordinator does not submit the EMPG application package, this indicates that you no longer would like to participate in the EMPG program.  If the coordinator does submit the EMPG application package for the year, then yes it is.

Q. How does KDEM determine how much EMPG funds the counties will receive?
A. The award is based on a formula determined in advance that includes county hazards, population, and other factors.

Q. My commissioners are not interested in EMPG, but I think we should apply.  Is there someone at KDEM that would talk to my commissioners?
A. Contact Bret Rowe at KDEM at the number and/or email above, and he will inform the appropriate KDEM personnel who can provide assistance.

Q. If my county is not an EMPG county, do I have to do anything?
A. Even if your county is not an EMPG county, you still have legal emergency management requirements that have to be met.  Contact Bret Rowe for information on current county EM requirements.

Q. What are EMPG funds intended for?
A. To ensure that a comprehensive emergency management system exists for disasters or emergencies.  The Kansas EMPG county projects are funded by setting aside a target amount of EMPG funds to be sub-granted to counties.

Q. What are the current EMPG allowable costs?
A. See the EMPG Subrecipient Guidance.

Q. What do I need to submit with my county's EMPG application?
See the Application Checklist posted on this website.

Q. What do I need to submit for my county's EMPG Reports / Reimbursement Requests?
See the Report / Remibursement Request Checklist posted on this website.

Q. Who do we contact if we have questions about EMPG?
A. Please contact Bret Rowe at KDEM, (785) 646-2204 or bret.a.rowe.nfg@mail.mil.



Q. I need help completing a form. Who should I contact?
Please contact Bret Rowe at (785) 646-2204 or bret.a.rowe.nfg@mail.mil

Q. Do I need to submit original signatures or are faxed/scanned originals sufficient?
Faxed or scanned originals with AUTHORIZED SIGNATURES are sufficient.  It is not necessary for KDEM to receive hard copy originals, but the faxed/scanned forms MUST SHOW THE AUTHORIZED SIGNATURES.

 Facebook Twitter Page  

Emergency Information

Click here for emergency preparedness information, safety awareness information and general information about severe weather and other potential emergencies that Kansans should be prepared for.

For information provided by Kansas Division of Emergency Management, click here.

For information provided by Kansas Homeland Security, click here.


Questions/suggestions to: Public Affairs Director