Education Office

Our Vision

Be the premier education service section within the Army National Guard.

Our Mission

Provide relevant education programs and services to support lifelong learning, enhance force readiness, and develop the next generation of leaders in the Kansas Army National Guard.

Federal Tuition Assistance (Army)

Federal Tuition Assistance will pay for up to 16 semester hours a year with a $250 cap on each hour. You can use FTA with other programs to cover up to 100% of your tuition. View the ArmyIgnitED Website. (CAC access required)

Kansas National Guard Education Assistance Program (State Tuition Assistance)

The Kansas National Guard Educational Assistance provides up to 100% of tuition and fees that leads to the award of a certificate, diploma or degree upon satisfactory completion of course work requirements for members of a Kansas Air/Army National Guard unit. Full-time enrollment not required. This program is administrated by the Kansas Board of Regents. View the Kansas Board of Regents website.

Kansas Military Service Scholarship

The Kansas Military Service Scholarship is available for the payment of tuition and fees at a public Kansas institution for students who are a resident of Kansas and has either (a) served in military service in Iraq or Afghanistan at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, or served less than such 90 days because of injuries received in Iraq or Afghanistan or (b) has served in military service in international waters or on foreign soil in support of military operations in Iraq or Afghanistan for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, or served less than such 90 days because of injuries received during such service; and received an honorable discharge from military service or is still in military service; and has a DD-214 form or active duty orders that indicate the person has served after September 11, 2001, in one or more of the following military operations: (a) Enduring Freedom; (b) Noble Eagle; or (c) Iraqi Freedom. Because financial need is a priority in awarding this scholarship, students will need to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid form. Once your school considers you as a graduate status student, you are not eligible for this scholarship. View the Kansas Board of Regents website.

Kansas ROTC Service Scholarship

Student agrees to accept a commission as a second lieutenant and serve for not less than four years as a commissioned officer in the Kansas Army National Guard. This program is only available at Kansas State University, Pittsburg State University, University of Kansas, Washburn University and some community colleges. For more information view the Guard Scholarships website.

Testing Services

Find information about the SAT and ACT, graduate school exams, and tests that can help you earn academic credit for civilian and military experience (the College-Level Examination Program, DANTES Subject Standardized Tests, and Excelsior exams). The Guard can also help pay for many of the tests to further your education. If you have questions or would like to schedule a test, contact the Education Services Office at 785-646-0155.

Student Loan Repayment

This program repays existing, qualifying student loans up to $50,000 for new Soldiers, prior service Soldiers, and officers who qualify. Contact Master Sgt. Amy Umbarger at 785-646-0157.

Academic Counseling

The Education Services Office can provide information to help find a school and a degree program that meets your needs and aspirations. Factors such as program flexibility, having a military-friendly atmosphere, acceptance of transfer credits and credit-by-exam, and a willingness to accept military training and experience all come into play when planning out a civilian education plan. The Education Office can help! Call 785-646-0155.

Benefits Counseling

We can help you use your benefits to ensure that you meet your education goals as easily as possible. We will show you what benefits are available to you, as well as how to apply for them. We will show how to combine certain benefits and which programs should be used for different levels of education.

GI Bill Programs

GI Bill programs are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. However, the Education Services Office has subject-matter experts that can assist with the use of these programs. All of the GI Bill programs require certain qualification measures. These measures are usually determined by the Department of Defense, and this is another place that the Education Services Office can help. Please contact us with any questions. View the GI Bill Website.

Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve

This is an education assistance program for individuals in the military reserves or National Guard. It pays a monthly benefit to those who qualify and apply while the student is going to school.

Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty

This program provides assistance to those who served for a specific time frame in the Active Duty military on or after July 1, 1985. It pays a larger sum than the select-reserve GI Bill during the school year to those who qualify.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program

To qualify for this assistance, you must have been a member of the Ready Reserve (including National Guard) who was called to Active Duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Post-9/11 GI Bill

This program is for those who served at least 90 days of Active Duty service on or after September 11, 2001. It can cover up to 100% of tuition and some qualifying fees, depending on how much time you served on that Active Duty. Qualifying individuals may also be eligible for a housing allowance and a book stipend to assist with their education costs. This is the only benefit that can be transferred to a spouse or child.

Transferability to Dependents

If you are a current member of the military, you may qualify to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill to children or spouses. The ability to transfer is based on time served, agreement to continue to serve, and the ages of children. Contact the Education Office to find out more! View the MilConnect website.