The purpose of the Planning/GIS intern position is to provide the student with work experience outside of the classroom. The position is heavily focused on GIS and data analysis in the context of the urban planning field.
This position is generally part-time during the fall/winter/spring (up to 16 hours per week) and up to 20 hours per week during the summer, generally following a typical university academic calendar.
- Researches, collects, compiles, records, and summarizes technical data; assists higher-level planning staff to assemble documentation for projects and presentations.
- Creates and manages maps and map databases using GIS software.
- Performs research, writes memos and staff reports, presents before boards and committees, as needed.
- Attends administrative and committee meetings.
- Performs basic office functions as needed, such as data entry, file management, and customer service.
- Participates in a variety of special projects as assigned.