News Flash Home
The original item was published from 6/9/2023 10:16:42 AM to 7/10/2023 12:00:00 AM.
Posted on: June 9, 2023
[ARCHIVED] Surgical Technician Intern, Part time, Stormont Vail HealthCare, Topeka, KS.
A Brief Overview
- The Surgical Tech 1 is a learning, mentored member of the Sterile Processing team that works in collaboration with his/her assigned team members to assist with preparing surgical instrumentation and equipment for use. The Surgical Tech 1 functions within his/her level of expertise and under the immediate direction of his/her assigned sterile processing team member. The Surgical Tech 1 is responsible for decontamination, preparing, packaging and sterilizing surgical instruments and equipment for all departments serviced by Sterile Processing.
- High School Diploma / GED Currently enrolled in the first semester of an accredited Surgical Technician Program (documented). Required
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrates ability to listen and respond appropriately. (Required proficiency)
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and willingness to learn. (Required proficiency)
- Demonstrates professional behavior. (Required proficiency)
What you will do
- Demonstrates proper knowledge and understanding of all chemicals, detergents, and other cleaning and/or disinfecting agents used in the department.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skill in assembly of trays and peel packs, to include identification of contents, internal chemical indicators, lot control numbers, wrapping, labeling and methods of sterilization.
- Re-stocks shelves in Sterile Storage and other areas to maintain defined Par levels of all supplies, instrument trays and other items maintained in inventory.
- Answers phones and follows through on phone and other requests for surgical supplies and instrumentation.
- Prep and Packaging.
- Record keeping and reporting procedures completed for each shift.
- Precautions and actions for steam, ETO and Sterrad sterilization.
- Biological testing procedures.
- Instrument/Set and Equipment identification.
- Equipment operation.
- Inventory procedures.
- Case cart picking procedures.
- Equipment and Instrument cleaning procedures.
- Maintains a clean, professional and safe work area.
- Communicates process or equipment problems immediately to Manager.