The Intern position with the City of Manhattan offers an advanced and unique learning and leadership experience in municipal government. The position works on and assists in completing duties and projects across a variety of departments within the City, including Administration, Finance, Public Works, Community Development, Human Resources, Parks and Recreation, Legal, Airport and Fire Department. The goal of the position is to offer a comprehensive perspective of local government management through participation and mentorship. This position is generally part-time during the fall/winter/spring (up to 16 hours per week) and up to 20 hours per week during the summer, generally following a typical university academic calendar.
- Collects field data and locations of utility assets using ArcGIS Field maps and light communication with contractors.
- Completes various GIS tasks with a high level of detail.
- Cooperates with homeowners to inspect and collect home plumbing materials data.
- Updates existing data and records with current and accurate information.
- Cooperates with staff in the testing of large water meters.
- Maintains open communication with leadership on all aspects of assigned projects.
- Effectively interacts and works cooperatively with supervisors, fellow staff members, members of the community, and elected/appointed officials.
- Attends professional training and job-related seminars, courses, meetings as part of job duties and educational requirements.
- Maintains compliance with all government regulations and standards.
- Other duties as assigned.