he City of Leawood boasts a collection of 40+ public art sculptures and paintings. In addition, the City in partnership with the Leawood Arts Council, hosts art in the park events including arts installations and musical performances. Unique to this year, 2023 is the City of Leawood’s 75th Anniversary. Several celebratory projects and events are planned which the intern may have the opportunity to contribute to.
Hours will be flexible. Evening and weekend hours required as necessary for relevant events, as well as, Leawood Arts Committee, Art in Public Places Initiative, and Historic Commission meetings.
Summary of the Position: Under the supervision of the Cultural Arts Supervisor, this internship opportunity is designed to introduce students to cultural arts programs within a civic Parks, Recreation, Arts department.
- The Cultural Arts Intern will provide support to the Cultural Arts Supervisor for arts programing, events, and public art collection management. Responsibilities include assisting with arts in the park events, marketing materials, ordering supplies, coordinating committee and council minutes, and organizing and prepping files for arts commission processes.
- Assists the Cultural Arts Supervisor in planning and facilitation of events including set up and tear down.
- Assists the Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department on administrative and clerical tasks.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year in an undergraduate degree program with an interest in visual arts or related field.
- Experience in working in a visual arts or event planning position, preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record per the City’s drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the City.