Behavioral Health Court Student Intern position provides care coordination for participants in the Behavioral Health Court with mental illness and substance abuse disorders who have pending or current criminal charges in Douglas County. The Student Intern assists the BHC Clinician with the oversight and day-to-day operations of the Behavioral Health Court program.
Some specific duties include:
- Assist in the identification and screening process for inclusion in the Behavioral Health Court.
- Meet with judges, district attorneys, defense attorneys, probation staff, court services and treatment providers to present the treatment conditions for participants and coordinate care.
- Interface with state and/or local service organizations to ensure all program objectives are met.
- Develop and maintain systems to facilitate data collection necessary to monitor participant compliance, identify trends, and provide a basis for ongoing evaluation of individual participants and the Behavioral Health Court as a whole in partnership with the University of Kansas.
- Act as liaison between the Behavioral Health Court and the public providing information concerning the Court as needed; represent Behavioral Health Court at interagency meetings and conferences.
- Meet and intervene with participants as needed to assure success in Behavioral Health Court requirements. Including Behavioral Health Court intakes, therapy, groups and intensive case management.
- Assist in scheduling professional visits and treatment evaluations for participants.
- Complete additional responsibilities as assigned as circumstances warrant.