Under supervision of the Wastewater Supervisor, this position is training for the responsibility of the operation and maintenance of the City Wastewater Treatment Plant and the City Wastewater Collection System, including the outlying lift stations. Duties are performed under direct supervision until such time that assigned work can be done independently.
- Checks, monitors and lubricates operating equipment and performs maintenance as required at the Wastewater Treatment Plant;
- Collects samples of wastewater/sludge and performs standard tests to evaluate the treatment process and maintains related records;
- Operates the Wastewater Plant, occasionally independently on weekends and holidays, including making decisions regarding aeration rates, sludge hauling and wasting rates;
- Loads and transports sludge to agricultural locations and then land-applies the sludge;
- Performs daily inspections and preventive equipment maintenance at the outlying lift stations;
- Operates trucks, rodding and water jetting machines and other transportation equipment in the maintenance of the City Wastewater Collection System;
- Assists in constructing and repairing sewer lines and appurtenances.
- Locates and marks underground sewer lines for other excavators.
- Provides stand-by on weekends and holidays